Monday, 21 December 2009

Vista: Windows Update error 80070570 problem - how to fix

If you have Windows Vista on your computer and you get a problem when Windows Update tries to run to update your computer, with this error message:

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 in Windows Vista (KB972260) failed to install with the error code 80070570

or other updates with Windows Vista error 80070570 or error 0x80070570 (which apparently means ERROR_FILE_CORRUPT), then you can try these troubleshooting tips to see if they fix the issue.

First, try disabling or closing your security or anti-virus software (McAfee, Norton etc) or other anti-malware, and try Windows Update again; then re-enable the protective software.

If that still doesn't work, it seems the issue could be down to:

  1. Windows Update not working properly, or
  2. The Windows Update Temporary folder having got damaged or corrupted.

In my case, it was no. 2. But here's how to sort out no. 1:

  1. Click the "Start" button bottom left, in the "Start Search" box, type: "services.msc"
    (without the quotes) and hit Enter. (If you have to OK or type a password, do so.)

  2. In the window that comes up, double click "Windows Update":

    A dialog box now comes up. Go to the "General" tab. If the "Startup Type" is "Disabled", use the dropdown to change it to "Automatic" or "Manual":

  3. Click the "Stop" button under "Service Status".
  4. Then click the "Start" button (to the left of the Stop button), and click OK.
  5. Rinse and repeat with the "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" service in the Services window (the one where you found the Windows Update service), to stop and start that again too.
  6. Now try Windows Update again (Start menu, Windows Update) and see if it'll work properly now.

If that didn't solve your problem, try renaming the Windows Update Software distribution folder as follows:

  1. Close the Services windows you opened earlier.
  2. Click the "Start" Button, "All programs", then"Accessories".
  3. Right-click "Command Prompt", select "Run as administrator":

  4. A "Administrator: Command Prompt" window comes up. Here, type "net stop WuAuServ" (without the quotes) and press the Enter key.
  5. Wait for this window to confirm it was successfully stopped:

  6. Now click the Start button, and in the "Start Search" box type:
    (without the quotes) and hit Enter.
  7. A folder window will open. Find the folder called "SoftwareDistribution", right-click it, select Rename and type "SDold" (without the quotes) to rename this folder (or call it anything else you like, just not the current name).

  8. Go back to the "Administrator: Command Prompt" window. Type:
    "net start WuAuServ"
    (without the quotes) to restart the Windows Updates service, and wait for it to say "The Windows Update service was started successfully".

Now if all that doesn't work, don't despair - Microsoft offer a free support service just for Windows Update issues.

To use it, go to this page and put in a support request with Microsoft there, and follow their advice. Good luck!


Jay said...

This was great, Ive been beating my head against the wall on Microsoft site, thank God Google came through. Thanks for the help ( I used the DOS prompt method after closing my virus/firewall software) and that worked perfectly after renaming the folder my updates downloaded and no more error 80070***...thanks again!

Anonymous said...

After paying $50 for a program that didn't fix this problem, I used your method and the problem is fixed. I couldn't be happier. Thanks for the great information.

Anonymous said...

Mingo07 from Mexico

Thank you very much for your special support, I try find a solution for this, keep in contact

Anonymous said...

Thanks for help. Successfully installed SP1 for Vista via DOS command prompt. Previously I tried Microsoft Support service, but didn't got help.
Liina, Estonia